Infection Prevention and Control Resources
This page will be updated periodically with the most recent useful links and resources on infection prevention and control. If you know of a relevant resource or an updated version, please contact Charlotte Fry.
Please note, the QNI is not responsible for the content of third-party documents or links shared on our website. Information is presented for information only and does not necessarily imply endorsement of any of the views expressed.
Infection Prevention and Control
- www.infectionpreventioncontrol.co.uk is a website where you can find resources such as monthly bulletins for care homes and domiciliary care and information about Harrogate IPC Workbook.
- Hand hygiene information leaflet for community service users and relatives.
- Your 5 moments for hand hygiene for Care Homes Poster.
- Your 5 moments for hand hygiene for Domiciliary Care Poster.
- Wearing a mask: do’s and don’ts.
- Vivaldi Social Care animation film: a project designed to reduce infections and improve lives.
Recognising and Responding to Infection
- People with symptoms of a respiratory infection including COVID-19 – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Living safely with respiratory infections, including COVID-19 – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- COVID-19: guidance for people whose immune system means they are at higher risk – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Infection prevention and control in adult social care: COVID-19 supplement – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- COVID-19 PPE guide for adult social care services and settings (text only version) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- COVID-19 PPE guide for unpaid carers (text only version) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Guide to donning (putting on) and doffing (removing) PPE (non AGP) in adult social care settings (text only version) – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- IPC Good Practice Guide – an introduction from the Chief Nurse for Adult Social Care, Professor Deborah Sturdy OBE
- Health and Social Care Act 2008: code of practice on the prevention and control of infections and related guidance – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Infection prevention and control in adult social care settings – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Estimated stock-out dates by PPE category – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Tuberculosis (TB) cases continue to rise in England in 2023 – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Guidelines for the management of norovirus outbreaks in acute and community health and social care settings (publishing.service.gov.uk) March 2012
- UKHSA guidance on the management of scabies cases and outbreaks in long-term care facilities and other closed settings – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) January 2023
- Group A Streptococcus – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 2023
- UK guidelines for the management of contacts of invasive group A streptococcus (iGAS) infection in community settings (publishing.service.gov.uk) March 2023
- Actions to contain carbapenemase-producing Enterobacterales (publishing.service.gov.uk) September 2022
- Should we be worried about the new COVID-19 variant? – UK Health Security Agency (blog.gov.uk)
- Get Winter Strong: revisiting respiratory infection guidance for a safer season – UK Health Security Agency (blog.gov.uk)
- Get Winter Strong: why having a flu vaccination matters – UK Health Security Agency (blog.gov.uk)
- NHS England » National Standards of Healthcare Cleanliness 2021
- Hand Hygiene
- Bare below the elbows – hand hygiene – YouTube
- NHS England » National infection prevention and control manual (NIPCM) for England
- Health Technical Memorandum 07-01: Safe and sustainable management of healthcare waste (england.nhs.uk) March 2023
Support for Social Care Workers
- The Care Workers Charity
- Mental health and bereavement support for care workers
- Junius S. Morgan Benevolent Fund
- Cavell Nurses Trust
Hydration & Urinary Tract Infections
- E coli Prevention Film
- Urinary Tract Infections – leaflet for older adults and carers
- The I-Hydrate project
- Smiling matters: Oral health in care homes – progress report – Care Quality Commission (cqc.org.uk)
- Fluoride Interventions to prevent dental decay in care home residents (FInCH): A cluster randomised feasibility study – King’s College London (kcl.ac.uk)
Click here to view the summaries from previous IPC meetings.
- Self-help – NHS
- Mental wellbeing audio guides – NHS
- Self-help therapies – NHS
- NHS England » Wellbeing conversations
- NHS England » Professional nurse advocate
- NHS England » Civility and Respect
- Overview | Mental wellbeing at work | Guidance | NICE
- Greater Manchester Wellbeing Toolkit and programme – GMHSC
- Five ways to wellbeing – Mind
- Useful resources – Mind
- Wellbeing (skillsforcare.org.uk)
- Bitesize learning – Leadership Academy
- Supporting mental health at work – Acas
- 20-minute suicide awareness training (zerosuicidealliance.com) This free course focuses on breaking stigma and encouraging open conversations.
- Supporting vulnerable people before and during a heatwave: for care home managers and staff – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Supporting vulnerable people before and during a heatwave: for health and social care professionals – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- Heatwave Plan for England – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Do you know a relevant resource on infection prevention and control or an updated version? Please let us know by contacting Charlotte Fry.
Join the IPC network
To join the network, please the button below and tick “Infection Prevention and Control” under ‘Mailing Lists’. You can also sign up for general email updates from us and join other QNI networks.