How to apply for financial help
The QNI will consider applications from Registered Nurses in financial need, who work or have worked in the community for a minimum of three years*.
What kind of help can we give?
We will consider almost any request but help is usually given, for example, with the provision of essential household items, building repairs or adaptations, respite care, specialist equipment such as walk-in baths, stairlifts, electric wheelchairs and amenity bills.
In 2021, we have received additional funding from the charity CHSA specifically to help nurses who have been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
We also consider applications for financial assistance at crucial times to help nurses remain in the nursing profession.
In order to be eligible for a grant from The Queen’s Nursing Institute you must:
- Be a registered community nurse or midwife, or a retired community nurse or midwife or a former community nurse or midwife
- Have 3 full-time consecutive years of experience of providing nursing care in the community
- Be currently living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and have worked as a community nurse or midwife in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Please note that we cannot help nurses who live and work in Scotland.
- Be in financial difficulty following illness, disability or other life crisis.
We regret that we cannot help with:
- Residential or nursing home fees
- Cost of medical treatment
- Funeral expenses.
Please note we cannot offer assistance whilst on an Interim Suspension Order.
If you are not sure if you are eligible, please contact Justine Curtis at email@example.com or telephone 020 7549 1400 and leave a message (please note Justine works Monday, Tuesday & Thursday afternoons).
Making an application
To make an application please download and submit the Application Form below.
When you have completed the application form, please email it to Justine Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note you will need to send copies of all bank statements covering the last two months and a utility bill too.
If you would like to discuss your situation first, please email Justine.
*Examples of community nurses that the QNI can help are:
- District Nurses
- General Practice Nurses
- Health Visitors
- Care Home Nurses
- Community Midwives
- Homeless and Inclusion Health Nurses
- Community Mental Health Nurses
- Community LD Nurses
- Community Children’s Nurses
- Occupational Health Nurses
- Other Registered Nurses who work with patients in the community.
Let us know what you think
If you have received financial assistance or advice from us in the past, we’d be delighted to receive your feedback via email. All feedback will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Sometimes we ask people if they would be happy for us to include a summary of their story in our literature. This helps us to show other people how we can help them. We will always seek permission to do this, and all stories are anonymous.